Wednesday 16 December 2015

Merry Christmas

This is my last post for the year (and for awhile) and I wanted to take the opportunity of wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We leave tomorrow for a few weeks of rest and relaxation out the back of beyond where there is no phone reception which means no internet. It’s time for a break from my computer. It’s hard to believe that during the last two and a bit years we’ve been on the road, I have yet to read a book cover to cover. I’m looking forward to doing something about that.

I knew exactly what photos I was going to use for my Christmas blog as soon as saw the beautiful New Zealand Mistletoe flowering in the Southern Beech trees along the edge of Lake Ohau in the MacKenzie Country.


The name ‘mistletoe’ is given to plants that use specially adapted roots to extract water and nutrients from the stem tissues of their host plant. Unlike some mistletoe species found in other countries, New Zealand mistletoes usually do not harm their hosts. There are eight unique species of mistletoes in New Zealand, the three Beech mistletoes (Green, Red & Scarlet) are now uncommon in many parts of New Zealand.

The colour of the Scarlet Mistletoe is stunning, especially against the beautiful green of the beech trees and the deep blue of the sky. All along the lake edge and high up in the bush were great splashes of brilliant red. The Pohutukawa tree might be known as the New Zealand Christmas tree but the South Island has it’s very own Christmas ‘tree’ which is unique, and just as stunning.



I thought I’d give you a virtual mistletoe to hold above your head- just click on the photo to enlarge, hold your computer (or phone) above your head and hope for a kiss or two from a passing loved one.


Thankyou all for your support and comments over the last year, it’s been a privilege and a pleasure to know that so many of you have enjoyed following along on our travels. Enjoy your Christmas and have a wonderful holiday time with family and friends.

All the very best for 2016 and safe travels wherever you might go.

Best regards
Shellie & David



4 comments:

  1. Have a lovely Christmas break, Shellie and David, and we look forward to catching up with more adventures in the New Year.

    Robin and Jenny

    Romany Rambler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A late reply I know (disappeared off the grid before I saw this), but thanks for the good wishes. Hope Christmas and New Year was good for you guys too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Christmas blog header photo! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A late reply here too, had moved out of range before this arrived. Thanks for the good wishes and I hope you had a great holiday season too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie