Saturday 22 February 2020

Gunns Bush & Milford Sound- Fiordland National Park

Catch-up (Milford Road, Sept 2019)  

The Lake Gunn Nature Walk, a 45 minute loop track beside the DOC camp at Cascade Creek, should be on every Milford Road visitor's itinerary. It's a magnificent stand of beech forest bordered by Lake Gunn, the Eglinton River, Cascade Creek Camp & the Milford Road.


It is oozing in mystical charm, with layers and layers of emerald green mosses and lichen smothering the forest floor, dripping from the overhead branches and inching up the trunks of the beech trees...


The bush and surrounding mountains were used in the Misty Mountain scenes from Sir Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring. 


These photos were taken from the track on various days (hence the light difference in some)



Areas closer to the camp are more open, they have less windfall because campers are allowed to use fallen trees for firewood in the camp fire pits. 



I love the intricate patterns and beautiful colours of the lichen that cling to some of the smaller trucks & branches.


Gunn's Bush is also teeming in birdlife, but as is the case in any of our native forests, you have to be patient (and very quiet) if you want to not only hear the bird song but see the birds up close. Although that doesn't usually apply to the South Island Bush Robin who will introduce himself by silently gliding in when you're not looking. If you rough up the leaf litter or turn over a rotten log he'll be your new best friend.


Aside from the usual suspects; Robins, Riflemen, Tomtits, Brown Creepers, Grey Warblers and several non endemic birds, we briefly saw for the first time, several Kakariki/Yellow Crowned Parakeet. These noisy parakeets usually spend their time in the upper canopy of the forest so it was a thrill to see them down near the ground, if only for a few moments.


You'll have to excuse my bird photos, many of them were taken at the end of my lens reach or with exposure settings wound out as far as possible when shooting in very dark bush. They are quite 'noisy', that's the grain (digital noise) you can see through the photo. 

I had seen (and heard) a flock of Kaka (our large forest dwelling parrot) flying in and out of Gunns Bush while we were parked at Cascade Creek so I knew they were about but I hadn't spotted any while I was bush walking. On one my walks, while I was standing listening for other birds, great clumps of bark and moss suddenly stated raining down on me from above. I thought a branch might have broken lose in the canopy but no, when I looked up...


...I saw that it was a Kaka tearing apart a rotten tree, tossing everything it pulled free over the side.


It took no notice of me below and I had to duck out of the way as some big clumps headed in my direction.


I was disappointed that the Kaka was right up in the top of the canopy but grateful to be able to zoom in and then crop the photos later to see what it was up to.


I followed it from tree to tree for over an hour, I could hear his flock calling but he took no notice of them as they flew off up the mountain beside the lake. He just carried on tearing apart any rotten branch or tree he could get his beak on.


And it wasn't until I processed the photos that I could finally see what he was after- big fat huhu grubs! Check out the 2nd photo. (Huhu grubs are the larvae of a longhorn beetle that is endemic to New Zealand)


This kaka must have been quite happy with his own company, I found him by himself high in the trees most days. I just had to stand awhile and listen for the thuds, rustles, cracks and other tearing noises as his cast offs crashed through the branches and landed on the forest floor nearby.


One day as I was making my way back to camp after taking photos of the bush and checking for the Kaka, David gave me a hell of a fright when he popped out from behind a nearby tree as I passed by. He didn't mean to scare me but he didn't want to step out sooner because I was taking a photo.

He reasoned that I must have seen his head and I'd know he was there. I didn't & when I checked the photos we had a good laugh; there was a tiny wee head peeking out from behind a tree trunk (see red arrow). Yes, you'll need to super-size it to see anything, but he is there.


I love the sign on the DOC loo in the carpark although I can't decide if it means the person disposing of the rubbish will have to remove it by hand or the DOC cleaner will have to. I hope it means the person dropping the rubbish, this should be on the doors of all the DOC loos!


After a few days the weather started to close in so we made a quick dash through to Milford Sound; you can't drive the Milford Road without driving to the end, no matter that we've been to the end twice before. You never know, it may look different this time!

Hollyford River just past Marian Corner
First stop is at the Falls Creek Waterfall which flows into the Hollyford River. I know I've said it numerous times in the previous post but this area, from Marian Corner through to The Chasm, is now badly damaged by the recent rain storm that saw 1.2metres of rain fall over 5 days. You can see why the river above wiped out much of the road here.

Falls Creek Waterfall
The mountains tower over the road past Monkey Creek (a popular place to stop for photo opportunities and where Kea often hang out). Monkey Creek also took out much of the road along this section.


It's disappointing that there are many 'Avalanche Area, No Stopping' signs along the road and around the entrance to Homer Tunnel- a head's up, don't visit in early spring if you're wanting to photograph the stunning views and scenes along much of the Milford Road. There'll also be no stopping today to check for the elusive Rock Wren/Piwauwauout in the Rock Garden which is beside the tunnel entrance.



Our next stop is at The Chasm, I leave David shooing off a kea who is intent on checking out the ute and do the quick loop walk to where the Cleddau River disappears....


...through a very narrow....well, chasm. Hence it's name! And once again this walk is now closed due to damage from the storm. 


I wonder if the large logs that were jammed in some of the crevasses in the chasm have been dislodged. I can't imagine the amount of water that was forced through here during the storm. 


Milford Sound is very busy, we have to drive around a couple of times before we find a carpark. It's early afternoon and many visitors are out on cruises or just about to go. The outlook isn't actually the best as it's low tide and Mitre Peak has her head in the clouds. 


In the reeds on the far side of the the muddy estuary I spot what I think is the elusive Milford Sound White Heron/Kotuku, a lone bird that spends some of it's time here at the top of the Sound. I zoom in on it, only to discover that it's not a heron but a long white stick doing a very good impression.


We walk around to the boat terminal and there, much to my surprise, is the heron in the shallow water on the inside of the wharf. 


This is third time lucky for me. The heron is perched on a submerged log catching little fish that swim by.


We have our own lunch at one of the picnic tables along the wharf pier and watch as tour boats come & go.




On our return along the pier we find the heron now resting on the breakwater rocks, unfazed by all the activity around it and posing nicely for a few more photos as we pass by.


Back at the carpark the tide has now come in a little covering the mudflats and making the scene a lot more pleasant, although the tip of Mitre Peak is still hiding. 


We head off back to camp finding blue sky on the other side of the Homer Tunnel. That's it, our third visit to Fiordland National Park, done & dusted!



4 comments:

  1. I m thrilled to see your images on the computer, We have just come home from doing a trip of a life time around the south island. I took thousands of photos and just loved gunns bush walk. Unfortunately two days ago while on a helicopter flight to see the whales in Kaikoura the pilot suggested I open the window to take a clearer photo and the downdraft whipped my camera out of my hand and it went down to the sea with three weeks of fabulous photos on it. I was wondering if I could borrow a few of your photos when I do my trip book. Cheers Dot Smith at Riverstone Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dot, what a bugger! That would so upset me, I can feel your pain. Yes, of course you can use my photos, it'd be my pleasure (I'm sure you won't mind adding credit for them in there too). I can send you high-resolution photos through too if you'd prefer the. I'll send you a private message on your Facebook page in case this one doesn't alert you to it. You may not know but but we are regular visitors to Riverstone and in fact I did a blog on our tour of the Castle. The link is here- https://tikitouringnz.blogspot.com/2020/05/queen-of-castle-riverstone-castle.html

      Delete
  2. Thanks a heap. Covid has stopped me doing anything for myself as I have been in sole charge of everything and not a spare moment. Gardening 11 hours a day to keep the place going. Now it looks like we may get back to some form of normality I hopefully will get our trip book done. Thanks a heap. It was especially a disaster for me as I had all my photos of 12 months in the garden so we could do a book for sale on the garden. I thought it was supposed to backed up to the clouds, but unfortunately it must have been a storm up there and the photos are nowhere to be found. Cheers Dot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a disaster! Yes I don't trust the Cloud at all, no matter how many times they tell me it's fine. Good luck getting the garden photos altogether again.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie